Occasional Visitor

Air Conditioning

I have a 1999 Suburban & a 1999 Caddy Deville. The Air conditioning works, however I can't get air to blow out of my front vents. Is something blocked? because they are open and air comes out to the rear of the vehicles & defroster, however not the front vents. 

Thanks

Brad

Valued Contributor

Question for You

Hi BmanAAA1956,

Is the problem that the air is not coming out of the defroster vents (the one's that point to the windshield)?

Occasional Visitor

Air Conditioning

Thanks for the reply. In answer to your question: I have air coming out of the defrost area, just not out of the front vents.

Valued Contributor

Thanks for the additional info

Almost all modern vehicles default airflow to the windshield when there is a malfunction in the air distribution system (air comes out of the defrost vents).  This is primarily for safety reasons.  In case of a malfunction, we want the driver's view of the road to be unimpeded and there is minimal discomfort as air of the desired temperature is still flowing.

Using the Suburban as an example, because it's HVAC system is simpler, the symptoms you describe would point to a problem with the Front Mode Door.  It is not switching the air from defrost to other positions.  This may be an electrical or mechanical issue.

The fault on the Cadillac would be similar, the system is just more complex.

AAA
To ensure you receive the best service,
please enter your ZIP code: