Occasional Contributor

Clearing a frosted windshield

What are some tips and tricks to clearing a frosted or iced covered windshield?

Our local news stated you can spray a frosted window with a solution of 1/3 water and 2/3 isopropyl alcohol to help clear it faster.  I've also heard using vinigar works.  Are either of these true, is one better than the other, and are either of these harmful to the car in any way?  What other options are there besides the ol' ice scraper? 

Valued Contributor

Hi JBofEastTN, A mixture of 1 part water to 3 parts vin...

[ Edited ]

Hi JBofEastTN,

A mixture of 1 part water to 3 parts vinegar applied to the windshield is very effective at preventing ice buildup and also cleaning the glass.  If the main purpose is to prevent ice, it should be poured on the glass the night before.  It will not remove ice already on the windshield.

The absolute best thing I know of to de-ice a windshield is beet juice mixed with salt.  The hydrogen atoms in the sugar in the beet juice bind together in such a way that it makes the solution cling to almost anything and improves the effectiveness of the salt.  This mixture does leave a film and is somewhat awkward and messy to work with.

The alcohol and water mixture will work great on a windshield that is already iced up.  Denatured alcohol works best and is less harmful to the windshield seals and windshield wipers.  I highly recommend it over any other alcohol, but other types work as well.

Keep in mind that the alcohol and water will make the windshield very cold very quickly.  So remove the ice, slush, and water before driving.  If you don't you could find another sheet of ice forming while you drive.

One of the best ways to fight ice is to prevent it's buildup in the first place.  A professional auto parts store (one used by professionals) that also sells body shop supplies should be able to help direct you to one of the many coatings that significantly reduce the amount of foreign objects that stick to the windshield.

Occasional Contributor

Here is the link I found from WATE in Knoxville, TN

[ Edited ]

Here is the link I found from WATE in Knoxville, TN:  How to quickly and safely remove frost from your windshield. Still not sure about this and potential damage to paint, coatings and rubber parts like seals and wipers.

Highlighted

An option I've had great success with is to apply a water...

An option I've had great success with is to apply a water repellant like Rain-X to all the windows when they are clean and dry. The windows will still get covered by ice, but when you start chipping at it with your scraper the ice comes off in sheets with almost no effort.

AAA
To ensure you receive the best service,
please enter your ZIP code: