Occasional Visitor

Cloudy headlights

Instead of taking your car to a repair facility for dull headlight lenses, spray some "Deep Woods Off" aerosol version onto a paper towel and wipe the lenses. This procedure will restore your headlights to like new condition.

Valued Contributor

Good Tip, BUT...

That has been a common procedure for decades.  And it does work, but if you think about it, the reason it works is by dissolving the clouded layer of plastic on the lens.  This results in weakening of the lens and a much higher possibility of failure of the headlamp..

No professional would do this as a repair.  A more cost effective and better repair would be to use one of the professional repair kits sold by parts stores that cater to automotive businesses.

Your local NAPA store can provide such a kit and also apply a AAA discount if you are a AAA member.

Occasional Visitor

Good tip, but RE: Cloudy headlights

I had a professional do my headlamps and they got clearer but terribly scratched from the sanding that is part of the repair process. I suspect that wiping the lenses is less harmful than the lenses being all scratched up.

Valued Contributor

I wouldn't accept that as a professional repair.  Take it...

I wouldn't accept that as a professional repair.  Take it back.

Occasional Visitor

REPAIR KITS SOLD AT AUTO PART STORES DO A GREAT JOB...ALS...

REPAIR KITS SOLD AT AUTO PART STORES DO A GREAT JOB...ALSO THERE IS CLEANING KIT CALLED WIPE NEW THAT IS SIMPLE TO DO AND LEAVES YOUR HEADLIGHT BRIGHT AND CLEAN FOR A GOOD THREE TO FOUR WEEK PERIOD...
Valued Contributor

Tests Show Limited Life of Repair

Wipe New Headlight Restorer does indeed dramatically improve the appearance of the headlights if applied properly.

However, the lenses normally start to fade after about 10 days.

It's considered about a six-month repair.

AAA
To ensure you receive the best service,
please enter your ZIP code: