Occasional Visitor

Trying to find a good price for a catalytic converter

Hello, I took my car to AutoZone I had been having battery problems. They said I need a catalytic converter. I have a 2001 Hyundai Sonota.Do anyone know if getting one from Pull-a-part is a good idea.

Valued Contributor

Hi Blessed-Nana,   How did AutoZone determine that you ne...

Hi Blessed-Nana,

How did AutoZone determine that you needed a catalytic converter?

There is at least one Technical Service Bullitian from Hyundai that must be addressed before condemning the converter.  It is, "ENGINE TITANIUM O2 SENSORS CAMPAIGN V01 - REVISED, Reference Number(s): 03-01-011-2, Date of Issue:  January, 2004."  I mention this because one of the main inputs the vehicle uses to test the converter is the oxygen sensor.  Like the old saying goes, 'garbage in garbage out.'  More on this later.

At the very least, a scan for powertrain (engine and transmission) trouble codes could point a repair technician in that direction.  The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) on your vehicle runs hundreds of diagnostic routines when the vehicle is running (and some vehicles even run diagnostics with the engine off).

One of these tests is for "catalytic converter efficiency."  In this test, the PCM looks at data coming from the front and rear oxygen sensors in the exhaust and comparing those values after the engine is warmed up and in a steady state of load.

If you think about it, if the catalytic converter is doing 'something' then the readings from the two oxygen sensors should be very different.  If they are the same, there is something wrong with the converter or something is throwing the test off (such as air leaking in the exhaust, a faulty oxygen sensor, etc.)

Using a converter that isn't properly calibrated to work with you vehicle can actually cause additional drivability symptoms and my be a violation of EPA regulations.  If it is indeed needed an Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) converter or one that has documentation that it is emissions compliant is really the only way to go.

The cost for an OEM converter is around $809.00 wholesale.  The job (not counting any diagnosis) should take about an hour to complete.  My estimate to complete the work would be $1,000.00 to $1,200.00 with labor, markup, taxes and shop supplies.

A used converter is never a good idea.

AAA
To ensure you receive the best service,
please enter your ZIP code: