Occasional Visitor
brutus35

Using Cruise Control

I am at a quandary. I only use cruise control when i am on the highway and in good weather.  My wife turns on the cruise in her RAV4  whenever she gets up to 35-40 mph and driving around town.  She constantly has to reset when slowing down or stopping at a light.  I say that this use is not an efficient use of cruise and serves no purpose.  Plus I believe if using cruise below 40 mph the overdrive doesnt kick in.

Is it ok to use cruise under these circumstances and will it cause any harm to the control?

David C.

Honored Contributor
AAAPete

I tend to agree that this is not an efficient use of crui...

I tend to agree that this is not an efficient use of cruise control. While it may not harm this creature feature as it is mostly all electronic components, I would be more concerned with giving up those milliseconds of control of the vehicle repeatedly. Remember, when you move your foot from the gas to the brake, normal reaction time is 3/4 of a second in a panic stop. During that time the vehicle has traveled a considerate distance depending on your speed. During that time, from the instant you take your foot off the accelerator the vehicle is starting to slow. If you are traveling in city traffic, chances are you are keeping your foot somewhat near the brake anyway but you are not regulating your speed as traffic conditions require. I would save the cruise control for the open highway.   

Occasional Advisor
naughtyca

i heard on the radio that it is dangerous using cruise co...

i heard on the radio that it is dangerous using cruise control in rain or snow, they said if you hydroplane the cruisecontrol accelerates and as soon as it gets a hold of the pavement again you shoot off since your tires are spinning faster now.  is this true?

Honored Contributor
AAAPete

It can certainly happen. In fact many owner's manuals now...

It can certainly happen. In fact many owner's manuals now have a warning about using the cruise control in inclement weather. If it's raining hard enough, shut off the cruise, get in the right lane, slow down, increase your following distance and BE PATIENT!