Regular Visitor
wpbpatfl

Whom Do I Trust?

I have a problem.  I took my 1994 Lincoln Town Car with 45,000 miles to the dealer to have her checked out for a trip.  Perhaps it was a mistake to go over to the new car section, after waiting about three hours, for the salesman called over to the service department to check on the trade in value. 

Then he told me that the service technician wanted to see me.  The technician said it would cost over $2700 to fix the car, that I should rent a car if I wanted to go on a trip, and that, since I was looking at a new car anyway . . .  (At the same time they told me this, they put in a new window at a cost of  over $300.)

There may be something wrong with the suspension of the car; it makes a little noise when it first starts up leveling, but then she drives like a dream. I was concerned that they were using scare tactic.

I had a male friend take the car to an AAA approved garage, saying he was thinking of buying her, and he was told this, “Needs rear transmission output seal; needs break flush; very clean car.”  That’s it.

I really don’t want to get a new car right now, but now I’m afraid to drive the Lincoln.  Whom can I trust?  Any suggestions?

Honored Contributor
AAAPete

I answered this on the 19th. In case you did not see my r...

I answered this on the 19th. In case you did not see my reply, here is what I wrote:

Worried Pat in West Palm Beach!

You didn't mention specifically what the dealer wanted to do for $2700 so it's tough to say for sure. If the air ride suspension system is making noise when you start the car, there may be a leak in one of the shocks and the compressor may be a little noisy. The components for this system are VERY expensive when they go bad. If the dealer provided a written list of what they wanted to repair, present that list to the AAA shop for their opinion. 

As far as your question about who to trust, your instincts are #1 and then go from referrals. The AAA shops have been checked for everything from proper equipment, insurance, manpower and most importantly customer service.

Hope this helps!  

Regular Visitor
wpbpatfl

Whom Do I Trust?

No, Pete, I'm sorry I didn't see it.

The dealer wanted to put in both front upper ball joints, both front lower ball joints, both front sway bar links, and both rear air springs, plus some minor cost things.  Since the AAA recommended garage said only that it needed a rear transmission output seal and a brake flush, it sounds suspicious to me. 

Honored Contributor
AAAPete

Did the AAA shop double check all those components the de...

Did the AAA shop double check all those components the dealer condemned?
Occasional Visitor
RTHDelray

Tire Air Pressure during weather changes

I had my Toyota Prius serviced prior to leaving on a recent road trip. The service included an all tire alignment and air pressure check. This was completed a few weeks ago in South Florida where the temperatures were in the 80s. I'm now in Arkansas and the temperature lows have been in the upper 30s/low 40s. While driving in this weather, my air pressure light comes on. Yet, when the temperature gets into the 60s/70s during the daytime, the light goes out signifying that all is fine. Should I ignore the air pressure inidcator light when it comes on in the morning? How should I properly handle this?
Honored Contributor
AAAPete

The first thing I would do is make sure the tires are pro...

The first thing I would do is make sure the tires are properly inflated as per the label on the left door jamb or owners manual. This should include the spare. This should take care of it. If not you may need to return to the dealer as there may be a sensor out of calibration.
Regular Visitor
wpbpatfl

Whom Do I Trust?

I believe that my male friend asked for an inspection as he was thinking of buying the car.  The only thing that the AAA garage mentioned was the transmission outlet seal and the brake flush. 

Honored Contributor
AAAPete

The reason I ask is because your typical maintenance insp...

The reason I ask is because your typical maintenance inspection will not generally inspect the items your dealer indicated needed replacing. I suggest getting a second opinion on specifically the items listed. This way you will know for sure. I am interested in the outcome!