Highlighted
Frequent Visitor
Accepted Solution

Winter Tires vs. Run Flats

[ Edited ]

Hi All. I am looking to replace the all-season run flat tires on my wife's car with (non run flat) winter tires. Problem is, the car has no spare. Any thoughts on the viability of those portable air compressor + "Fix A Flat" solutions? Thanks in advance. Kindly, JD

Valued Contributor

Hi JD,   Good Decision!  If you live in a snowy climate,...

Hi JD,

Good Decision!  If you live in a snowy climate, I think you will be very pleased with the snow tires.

I would not recommend any aftermarket road side tire repair sealants.  These items have may be flammable and potentially explosive, may damage the tire, may void the tire manufacturer's warranty, and may interfere with or damage tire pressure monitoring system sensors.  The potential damage and safety risks outweigh any benefits.

Several companies manufacturer Run Flat, Winter Tires.  Have you considered those?

Excellent advice, Ray!    We actually posted a blog a cou...

Excellent advice, Ray! 

We actually posted a blog a couple of weeks ago about spare tires, run-flat tires, and tire inflator kits in the Car Care section of these pages. It provides some background on why car companies have ditched the spare and whether the alternatives are viable alternatives. Here's a link to the blog: Does Your Car Have a Spare Tire?

AAA
To ensure you receive the best service,
please enter your ZIP code: