Occasional Visitor

Wiper issues

Hello,

I have a 2009 Honda Accord 4 cylinder.  Has about 50,000 miles.  My windshield wipers are not consistently working.  They automatically  turn on and off.  Sometimes they turn off for a couple of minutes and sometimes the turn off for 5 mintues or more.Is this a big expense.Any ideas how i can locate this fault?This on- off happens in all position of the switch,hi,low or in delay time position.This wipers stopping while its rainning is kind of dangerios,few times i had to pull over on side curb.

appericiate your suggestion.

pravin patel

Valued Contributor

Hi Canton,     Intermittent issues are always the hardest...

Hi Canton,

Intermittent issues are always the hardest to diagnose.  The problem must be occurring at the time of testing in order to find it.

There is a Technical Service Bulletin for your vehicle concerning 'Multiple Electrical Problems After Body, Engine or Trans Work' (A08120D issued December 01, 2008).  Has any work been done on this vehicle recently and are there any other electrical problems?

There are also multiple Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's) available for that system that can assist in pinpointing the exact cause of the problem.

Assuming there are no DTC's stored, the easiest thing to do would be to apply power and ground to the wiper motor (terminals 3 (LOW), or 5 (HIGH) and 2 (black wire - Ground)) and see if the motor operates normally.  If it does not, then the motor itself is inoperative.

Beyond that other testing can be quite involved.  A quality repair facility should be able to diagnose this quickly, again provided the failure is present during testing.

The cost of the repair is difficult to estimate because of the number of potential components involved and the total amount of diagnosis needed.

You say the wipers automatically turn on and off.  Do they turn ON with the wiper switch in the OFF position or does the switch have to be in the ON position?

Occasional Visitor

accord windshield wipers on off

Hi,

The wipers switch is in ON position, sometime wipers do not swipe at all and if they do start to work sometime they stop for a while and come back on again by them self without me touchimg the switch which is in ON position already.

Car has been only serviced for chainging engin oil and tyre rotation.I will try to look up the electrical code you mention to see what that envolves and see if i can make any sense.Do you think if i change the electical wiper motor that will cure the problem,or could it be that the fault is in the three position switch itself.

Thank you for your reply.

Valued Contributor

Follow Up Info

Thanks that's what I thought, but I wasn't sure.

In order to query the vehicle for codes, a Honda compatible Scan Tool is required as the Wiper System codes are Body Codes.  They are specifically, B1077 - Wiper Signal Error, B1281 - Front Wiper Switch Mist Position Circuit Malfunction, B1282 - Front Wiper Switch INT Position Circuit Malfunction, 1283 Front Wiper Switch LOW Position Malfunction, and P1284 Front Wiper Switch High Circuit Malfunction.

If code(s) are stored, it is possible to trace the problem with the benefit of a wiring diagram, but the diagnostic routine for the code is really the way to go.

I NEVER replace a part without proving that it's faulty.  That can get very expensive very fast.  The problem could be in the motor, the switch, relay(s), modules, fuse connections, grounds, etc.  An intermittent failure in any of these items would result in intermittent operation of the wipers.

Occasional Visitor

Honda accord wiper issue

Hi Ray

Thank you so much for the detailed information,never knew that it has that much coded information stored in there.

Thanks again i will try to find somebody to fix this,its not as simple as i thought it was.I thought i will try to fix myself but without the CODE redear i am helpless.

Regards Canton

Occasional Visitor

IT IS EITHER THE WIPER MOTOR OR YOUR FUSE...PERHAPS REPLA...

IT IS EITHER THE WIPER MOTOR OR YOUR FUSE...PERHAPS REPLACING THE FUSE WOULD SOLVE THE PROBLEM...
Valued Contributor

Intermittent problems can be difficult

[ Edited ]

Due to the intermittent nature of the symptom, I wouldn't personally suspect the fuse as a primary fault though it is definitely possible.  The modules and relays are both prime suspects here.

But since the problem could be in the motor, the switch, relay(s), modules, fuse connections, grounds, and so on, those items need to be ruled out.

AAA
To ensure you receive the best service,
please enter your ZIP code: