Occasional Visitor

automotive repair question

I have a 2008 Kia Sportage...when I stop at a light I can hear my air conditioner clanking when it is running (when I turn it off the clanking stops)........I was told I needed a new AC belt and tensioner which I did.......it stil clanks..........any ideas?..Patricia

Valued Contributor

Hi Patricia,   You don't mention the engine or submodel o...

Hi Patricia,

You don't mention the engine or submodel of your Sportage, but I'm assuming the most common configuration for this discussion.

There may have been wear on the tensioner or belt, but I would not replace the belt and/or tensioner for the symptom you describe.  It doesn't fit.

For all air conditioning issues, I always start with a system performance check.  This gives objective test results of system pressures, air flow, cooling effectiveness, and it exercises the system at the same time (this is where a more in depth investigation of the noise would also start).  Any issues found at this step would need to be addressed first.

If there were no problems found, at this point I would focus on the compressor and the compressor clutch and compressor coil as the causes for the noise you describe.

If you are comfortable with the facility that did the original repair, in my opinion you should be inquiring about a free re-inspection of the vehicle or a refund on the basis that the problem that you were asking to be repaired was not addressed.

If not, we can recommend AAA repair facilities for a second opinion.

Occasional Visitor

AC clanking

Hi RayfromAAA....thank you for your reply..........my Sportage is a 6L, EX........can you recommend a AAA-recognized auto repair that I can try?...my zip is 34446................Patricia

Valued Contributor

Definately,   Using the search function at AAA.com, I cam...

Definately,

Using the search function at AAA.com, I came up with the following facilities.

Let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Shop Locator.JPG

AAA
To ensure you receive the best service,
please enter your ZIP code: