- AAA Community
- On The Road
- Car Care
- Auto News
- Automotive Questions
- Road Trips
- Drive the Discussion
- Travel Ideas
- Travel Questions
- Planning and Recommendations
- Florida Trip Ideas
- Europe Trip Ideas
- Alaska Trip Ideas
- Diamond Spotlight
- Caribbean Trip Ideas
- Mediterranean Sea Trip Ideas
- Off We Go
- Life Matters
- Life Matters Questions
- Member Stories
- Travel Insurance
- Local Happenings
- North Dakota
- Other Areas
- Our Current Sweepstakes
- Previous/Expired Contests
- List of Winners
- Suggestion Box
- Posting directions for Suggestion Box
- Member Ideas
05-18-2016 03:17 PM - edited 05-18-2016 04:35 PM
There are a number of factors that come affect battery life regardless of manufacturer.
Firstly, is charge and discharge cycles and the depth of discharge in particular. All batteries self discharge to some degree whenever they are not charging (e.g., when the engine is off). If a vehicle sits for an extended period of time, the battery will attain a very low state of charge and the overall life of it will be dramatically shortened each time this happens.
Similarly, the completeness of recharging by the vehicle electrical system comes into play. Short trip usage and/or heavy usage of electrical accessories coupled with stop and go drive cycles also shorten battery life.
Vibration is another thing that will shorten the life of the battery. Excessive vibration typically comes from insecure mounting of the battery.
Also if the battery is not maintenance free (few are these days but some still are), the level of electrolyte in the battery will have to be adjusted periodically.
The biggest factor that we typically see is temperature extremes. With high ambient and underhood temperates being the most damaging of all.
The average life of a battery in North America is three to five years.
I have seen them last anywhere from 10 years to 1 year.
07-06-2016 12:26 AM
HAVING SAID THIS I CAN ADD THAT ALL OUR VEHICLES HAVE INTERSTATE BATTERIES AND THEY LAST FOR AT LEAST THREE-(3) YEARS....
07-06-2016 06:35 PM
AAA also offers mobile battery service in select areas as a member benefit.
Included features are:
- Free testing of your present battery and electrical system
- Free delivery and installation in most vehicles
- Competitively priced, genuine AAA branded batteries
- 6-year warranty (3 years free replacement/3 years prorated)
09-12-2016 06:13 PM
The battery IS under warranty whether the purchaser is a AAA member or not.
- Warranty covers original purchaser only and is not transferable
- Any removal of battery by a third party (not AAA) will void warranty
- Warranty does not cover removal of old battery or installation costs for the new battery
- Batteries that fail due to improper use or handling are not covered
Please refer to the documentation provided with the sale of the battery or call 888.912.6678 or as always call 800.AAA.HELP.