Associate membership for domestic partners

by jjberty on ‎11-17-2010 03:40 PM

Many couples are living together as domestic partners sharing all aspects of financial responsibilities together.  Why can't AAA provide an associate member category for domestic partners?

Comments
by
on ‎11-18-2010 08:17 AM
Status changed to: Acknowledged

by
on ‎11-18-2010 08:18 AM

I know that the issue comes up from time to time to modify the AAA Auto Club South's Associate Member definition...

"Primary member’s spouse and unmarried, dependent children under 21 years of age living in your home, and through age 25 if attending an institution of continuing education as a student."

... to reflect the composition of families of today.  This is an opportunity for AAA Community members to tell us how you define your family.  Is your family a traditional family (husband, wife, children), a single parent household, an extended family (i.e., grandparent, grand children, etc.), a domestic partnership or another definition of family?  Please comment and vote and let us know!

by
‎12-01-2010 01:13 PM - edited ‎12-01-2010 01:53 PM
Status changed to: New Idea

Thanks for your suggestion. We've heard similar ideas in the past. We define an Associate Member as a...

"Primary member’s spouse and unmarried, dependent children under 21 years of age living in your home, and through age 25 if attending an institution of continuing education as a student."

When a person joins AAA, we rely on that person to supply information for all drivers in the home. So if your partner is your spouse, he or she would qualify for the associate rate. 

by
on ‎12-20-2010 09:52 PM

I for one agree that it would be a wise decision to modify your terms and agreements on the Associate Membership to pass on savings to all American families, including familes with same sex partners, Common Law marriages, and so forth.  It was a pleasure to see the AAA Califonia was included in "The Advocates" best places to work for same sex partners.  Alot of people you do business with like American and Continental Airlines where also included.  Why not include all types of American Families in this century in your Membership.  AAA has been in business for over 100 years.  Why not update this terminology with a more appropriate one for todays way of life.  

I have noticed that you do promote the travel aspect of this lifeystyle on your Travel page.   

by gdean
on ‎12-22-2010 07:32 AM

I'm surprised that the AAA South club does not acknowledge domestic partner status. I have domestic partner friends who live in Texas and are members of that AAA club and they have one membership for the two of them. How can one AAA Club have differing rules from another?

by kelly135
on ‎12-30-2010 09:04 AM

What about parents? My retired mother lives with me. The car she drives is mine and I pay for the registration, insurance, etc. Why can't I add her as an associate member? Why is it only nuclear families that qualify?

by gdean
on ‎01-12-2011 09:38 AM

Ref my post of 12/22/2010 regarding domestic partners in Texas - I also checked with domestic partners who live in Knoxville, TN and they have the same service as my Texas friends...both partners are covered by one membership. It seems the more forward thinking precedent set by other AAA clubs should be honored by the AAA South Club.

by gsballance
on ‎05-02-2012 11:13 AM

I'd like to begin this conversation again. My partner and I have been together for 12 years, 11 of them living under the same roof. Blue Cross Blue Shield medical insurance now recognizes us as domestic partners. Has AAA made any progress on this?

For 11 years each of us has paid for an individual membership, so over that time it's cost us an extra $500 approximately. When I look at it in financial terms, it seems a bit unreasonable. So what's happening with this AAA? Thanks.

by dc2149
on ‎03-18-2013 01:28 PM

My partner has been a AAA member for 31 years (10+ of those as a PLUS member), but yet we are forced to have two AAA membership since AAA does not recognize same-sex partnerships. We are hopeful the company will "get with the times" and add DOMESTIC PARTNERSHIP to its family member definition.

by
on ‎09-14-2013 07:33 AM

I was happy to find that this issue has been raised.  YES we should be able to include domestic partners--same sex included!  After over 35 years of membership, I plan to quit AAA if this policy is not changed this year.

Announcements

Do you have an idea for new or better products and services? How can we serve you better? You’ve come to the right place! Here's what you can do:

>Read first to see what’s already been posted. If there’s a similar idea, you can discuss it to enhance it and vote it up!

>Share your ideas. Got an idea? We want to hear it no matter how big, small or wild it may be. Why keep it to yourself?

>Vote for ideas. See an idea you like? Give kudos for it by clicking on the UP ARROW icon. Email your friends to give it kudos. These ideas bubble up to the top. Which do you like best?

Let’s keep the conversation going! We will be providing challenges to brainstorm, while monitoring popular ideas and actionable suggestions AAA Community member come up with. Come back often to see new ideas and changes to the Suggestion Box as this features grows. Let's make something happen.

AAA
To ensure you receive the best service,
please enter your ZIP code: