Travleing with Pets

by on ‎10-25-2010 02:44 PM

I'd love to see more information on AAA.com about traveling with Pets. I'm sure there are a lot of members who could offer some suggestion, advice and recommendations on great places to stay.

AAA offers the "AAA PetBook", a comprehensive source for assisting animals and their humans in preparing for a fun and hassle-free trip. As more and more vacationers take their pets along, the AAA PetBook is quickly becoming a must-have for travelers. This publication features more than 13,000 AAA Approved and Diamond Rated lodgings and campgrounds in the U.S. and Canada that accept pets. It also includes information on: -- Pet-friendly campgrounds, attractions, dog parks and national public lands -- U.S./Canada border crossing procedures -- Listings of emergency animal clinics -- Tips for travel with pets by air and car -- How to prepare your pet and what to take along -- Center page inserts featuring more great photo contest entries For more information go to: http://www.aaa.com/PetBook/ “Traveling with Your PetBooks” are available in select AAA branch offices for $9.75 per book plus tax. The retail price is $17.95. Members may also purchase at: www.aaa.com/barnes&noble.
Comments
by Swimmy10
on ‎10-25-2010 02:54 PM

Great idea!  My dogs will thank you!!

by
on ‎11-15-2010 11:03 AM
Status changed to: Acknowledged
AAA offers the "AAA PetBook", a comprehensive source for assisting animals and their humans in preparing for a fun and hassle-free trip. As more and more vacationers take their pets along, the AAA PetBook is quickly becoming a must-have for travelers. This publication features more than 13,000 AAA Approved and Diamond Rated lodgings and campgrounds in the U.S. and Canada that accept pets. It also includes information on: -- Pet-friendly campgrounds, attractions, dog parks and national public lands -- U.S./Canada border crossing procedures -- Listings of emergency animal clinics -- Tips for travel with pets by air and car -- How to prepare your pet and what to take along -- Center page inserts featuring more great photo contest entries For more information go to: http://www.aaa.com/PetBook/ “Traveling with Your PetBooks” are available in select AAA branch offices for $9.75 per book plus tax. The retail price is $17.95. Members may also purchase at: www.aaa.com/barnes&noble.
by
on ‎11-15-2010 11:17 AM

Also all AAA TourBooks show which hotels are pet friendly (accepts pets) with the use of an icon.

by katalypso
on ‎05-18-2011 06:10 PM

This may not be on the same subject exactly but  one day after walking my dog in the park, my vehicle would not start. I called AAA and a tow truck was sent but they refused to take my dog. They said my dog had to take a taxi. It was late morning on a weekday and my friends were all working and could not come help us. I did tell AAA I had my dog with me and that she was a certified service dog as I am disabled. The tow truck driver and the owner of the company still refused to let my dog ride in the tow truck until the representative from AAA talked to the owner of the tow truck company but the truck driver did everything he could to make my dog and I miserable. We are in Florida and it was over 100 degrees in the shade and he turned his air conditioning off when I mentioned how good it felt.  Not only is my disability made worse by the heat but my service dog is a great pyrenees which is one of the few breeds whose body temperature runs 10 degrees hotter than other dogs. He yelled at us all the way home and even after we had gotten out of the truck in front of my house, he yelled so loud, my neighbors came out of their houses to see what was going on. (He had found a dog hair on his seat) I still get so angry thinking about it even though it was over a year ago. His excuse was that it was a new truck. He could have just looked at my dog and seen how clean she was and is always kept. She is all white and if there were any dirt on her at all, it would have shown up on her coat. She was as white as fresh snow. She was "on duty" so he had nothing to complain about her behavior. She did get her feelings hurt as she understands what a human says most of the time as it is her job to understand and obey to the best of her ability and I felt so sorry for her. You cannot separate a service dog from a disabled person or you might be held responsible if anything were to happen to the disabled person that the dog might have been able to prevent by forewarning the disabled person. My dog is a seizure alert mobility service dog and it is against the law to not allow her to go with me anywhere I am allowed to go. Yelling at me and berating me and or my dog is a misdemeanor. I am not sure if AAA quit using this towing service but I certainly hope they did. Anger and anxiety are the cause of most of my seizures and panic attacks as well as strokes. I was fortunate to just have suffered a panic attack after the incident that day but I believe AAA should educate the towing companies about the rules and regulations concerning the disabled and their service animals before having them sign up as one of their towing companies. If they do not wish to have dogs in their vehicles regardless of whether they are service animals or not, They have a choice to not be affiliated with AAA. They will have to deal with individual customers on their own but at least they would not make AAA look bad when they throw a fit!  I think the travel pet book is a great idea!  I would much prefer to go to a pet friendly establishment and avoid any hassle or confrontation regardless of the law. It would just make a trip much more pleasent! Thank you AAA! 

Kat

Announcements

Do you have an idea for new or better products and services? How can we serve you better? You’ve come to the right place! Here's what you can do:

>Read first to see what’s already been posted. If there’s a similar idea, you can discuss it to enhance it and vote it up!

>Share your ideas. Got an idea? We want to hear it no matter how big, small or wild it may be. Why keep it to yourself?

>Vote for ideas. See an idea you like? Give kudos for it by clicking on the UP ARROW icon. Email your friends to give it kudos. These ideas bubble up to the top. Which do you like best?

Let’s keep the conversation going! We will be providing challenges to brainstorm, while monitoring popular ideas and actionable suggestions AAA Community member come up with. Come back often to see new ideas and changes to the Suggestion Box as this features grows. Let's make something happen.

AAA
To ensure you receive the best service,
please enter your ZIP code: