4 Tips for Driving Safely Next to Big Trucks

by Community Manager on ‎06-22-2015 11:44 AM - last edited on ‎08-18-2015 09:25 AM by Lithium Technologies (15,478 Views)

Driving next to large commercial vehicles can be dangerous, but unavoidable. Here’s how to do so safely.

Thousands of trucks traverse the nation’s interstates and highways each day, playing an important role in the economy. But it can be intimidating to travel alongside large trucks because of their size and noise level.

It also can be dangerous. In 2012, there were 3,921 people killed and 104,000 people injured in crashes involving large trucks, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

But you can travel safely next to commercial vehicles. Here are four tips on how to share the road:

1. When passing a large truck, allow yourself plenty of time. At highway speeds, it can take up to 30 seconds to pass a truck. After passing, change lanes only when you can see the truck’s headlights or front grill in your rearview mirror.

1. Don’t speed up when a truck is passing you. Instead, slow down and move over slightly. Let the truck pass you. This will give the truck driver plenty of room to pass safely and get you out of the truck’s blind spot faster.

1. Don’t continuously drive alongside a truck, as you’re in the driver’s blind spot. Every truck has four blind spots or “no-zones” that all motorists should avoid. A truck driver’s blind spot extends to the front and back and left and right sides of the truck. Your car is invisible in these blind spots.

1. Leave plenty of room between you and a truck when at a stop on a hill. A truck may roll back as the driver takes his foot off the brake.

Review more tips on how to drive safely next to big trucks.

A version of this story appears in the July/August 2015 issue of AAA Living magazine.

Image credit/source: Brown Bird Design

Comments
by Geo1
on ‎09-08-2015 09:52 PM

I use to be a long haul driver and the best advice I can add is Don't drive along side the rigs wheels. When they explode

and i have seen this) they can go any where. I saw one go through a cars passenger windshield.

AAA
To ensure you receive the best service,
please enter your ZIP code: