Is Your Vehicle Car Seat Friendly?

by Lithium Technologies ‎08-12-2015 04:51 PM - edited ‎08-31-2015 05:08 PM (1,346 Views)

The LATCH system can be difficult to understand. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety rated vehicles on how easy it is to install child seat restraints in cars using this system. Here are the results.

Installing car seats correctly can be tricky. In 2002, to help simplify the process, the government introduced the LATCH system (Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children), which consists of built-in straps and hooks on the safety seat and anchor hardware in vehicles.

But when the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) evaluated 102 vehicles on how easy it is to use the LATCH system, only three earned a good rating. More than half were poor or marginal.The most common problem? Lower anchors are too deep within the seat, and hard to find. Nearly 75 percent of LATCH-equipped seating positions had this problem.

The list of vehicle rating is the first of its kind from IIHS. For families in the market for a car that makes it easy to transport their children safely, this list is a handy tool—and the first step in making sure that children will be safe.

For more information, review these helpful tips on how to use the LATCH system properly.

Image credit/source: Britax

Comments
by langster1964
‎10-11-2015 02:05 PM - edited ‎10-11-2015 02:06 PM

I need help buying a newborn baby car seat. I read some where that AAA gave them away to low income families? I was wondering if anyone can help me find out. Ty

AAA
To ensure you receive the best service,
please enter your ZIP code: