SandyK

Whoopi Casts Deciding Vote...“Apple Pie” Voted Top Flavor

by ‎10-01-2010 03:11 PM - edited ‎10-08-2010 11:36 AM (2,332 Views)

Whoopi-Goldberg.jpg In the last issue of Going Places, we asked readers to create a new flavor for the award-winning line of William Dean Chocolates. The contest’s response was overwhelming, with over 2,500 suggestions made here in the Community.
Some flavors were traditional—peanut butter, cheesecake and blueberry. Others were not only unique, but a little surprising: hot dog, tofu, grilled onions and broccoli. (They may have been confused with the deli contest held next door!)

2712iB0C0C232CA435D68Acclaimed chocolatier William Brown spent days combing through the many scrumptious and inventive suggestions with his team. They actually prepared a number of samples to determine if they could capture the essence of the flavor suggested. In the end, they narrowed it down to 10 semi-finalists.

2716i37B29C009414700CJudging was held in September at Datz Deli in Tampa, FL. Among the judges were: Academy Award-winner Whoopi Goldberg (via phone); President of Whoop Inc. Tom Leonardis (via phone); Dessert Professional editor Tish Boyle (via phone); Chris Ponte, 2718iD432B9E321DD150Arenowned chef & owner of Café Ponte; Holly Tomlin, owner of Tomlin Staffing; Dean Darby Dickerson of Stetson University College of Law; Bay News 9 anchor Veronica Cintron; WTSP reporter Preston Rudie; Chef Heather Stalker of Datz Deli; and myself, to represent Going Places—and to eat a bunch of chocolate.

Each judge and guest were given a plate of the 10 flavors, decorated simply so as not to sway votes on appearance. (Dean’s chocolates are renowned for their visually spectacular designs.)
When the votes came in, it was a three-way tie. Now it was time to reveal Whoopi’s secret ballot, along with chocolate connoisseur Leonardis.

whoopi 1.jpg

Their vote was cast just prior to the event. Both had great comments on each flavor, but one was a particular favorite for Goldberg...

“Apple Pie. Our number one! FAVORITE. Before I put this in my mouth, I said, ‘Nobody can do apple pie. Not in gum, not in candy, and certainly not chocolate.’ You blew us away.”  Apple pie took the cake...er, contest!

Congratulations to June Tray of Port Richey and Lisa Zlotziver of Fort Lauderdale, FL. They both suggested Apple Pie (Lisa added a cinnamon twist, while June's was a great "All American". They both have received a $250 gift card, to be used for a 100+ piece assortment of chocolates - or a variety of cholates. 

We apologize that we incorrectly named Lisa as the official winner. Bill from WD chose and began testing the "Cinnamon Apple Pie" flavor and this was the working name of the new chocolate.  When he began finalizing the list of choices and names, he opted for just "Apple Pie"...when this happened2710i919CF2D18E221897, we should have gone back and checked to see whether there was someone with just Apple Pie, but unfortunatley, didn't realize there was another apple pie suggestion made prior to Lisa's. I  apolgoize for the confusion.  We have awarded both the top prize. Thanks to everyone for entering!

New Flavor: Apple Pie
    J. Tray /  L. Zlotziver 
    (Semi-finalists—Each received a 20-piece box of chocolates.) 

•  Creamsicle
  • Gingerbread
  • Lemon & Basil
  • Mojito
  • Burnt Sugar & Bourbon
  • Guava & Banana
  • Mango & Mint
  • Cardamom & Pistachio
  • Hot Chocolate & Marshmallow

You be the Judge…
Brown was so impressed with the final assortment of unique flavors, he’s adding to his line a limited-edition 20-piece box called “AAA Creations”. The boxed chocolates will be specially priced for AAA members.
To order: williamdeanchocolates.com or call (727) 593-0656.

Comments
by on ‎10-01-2010 10:11 PM

Ooooh I must try! How cool! AAA members now have their own chocolates! Go us!

by on ‎10-04-2010 09:58 PM

I would like to know what was the number of the posting of the winning "apple Pie"???? I posted number 234 as "All American Apple Pie" and i did not see APPLE PIE before my posting! I thought the first one wins???? Is this true???

by on ‎10-04-2010 10:22 PM

OK...i just went through the list agian and i was the first one to mention apple pie!!!! My entry was number 234 of 1880!!!! I remember the rules clearly stating the first post will win!!!  My entry was " ALL American Apple Pie" ! This is not fair!!!

by on ‎10-05-2010 08:59 AM

Thank you for the heads up.  We are reviewing all of the entries right now. I will get back with you shortly. I apologize if there has been a mistake...no worries, we'll make sure that if you are the first winner, we will award you the prize as well! 

by on ‎10-05-2010 04:10 PM

You're right!  There was a mistake on our end when the name was pulled. Originally, he wanted to select Cinnamon Apple Pie, but went with the more generic name and flavor.  I left a message at your home. Give me a call and I'll make sure you get awarded!  Thanks so much for bringing this to our attention! Sandy

by Doggongood on ‎10-06-2010 07:32 PM

jbug82:

YOUR NAME should now be listed as the winner (instead of the other person).

- -  Congratulations to Lisa Zlotziver of Fort Lauderdale, FL. She’s won a 100-piece box of WD Chocolates - -

It is quite unfortunate that we must constantly scrutinize what others do. Most companies are as bad as the government - you can't trust them to do a job thoroughly or accurately!

If AAA is going to have these type of contests, they should plan to have adequate staff who can muster through the process.

This was great advertising for AAA, William Dean Chocolates and Whoopi Goldberg. But the most important aspect of the process was to name the accurate winner!

by Doggongood on ‎10-06-2010 07:46 PM

Truth and Justice should always prevail !

Maybe I'll win the next contest - - if the chocolatier decides to create something a bit more complex:

GINGER AMBROSIA - orange, pineapple, apple, coconut, ginger - whipped in pure cream - covered in dark chocolate with ginger flecks.

KUMQUAT CHUTNEY - kumquat, ginger, curry, cinnamon, clove, cayenne pepper, honey, balsamic vinegar - covered in dark chocolate with kumquat dribbles.

by on ‎10-08-2010 11:52 AM

I thought I'd weigh in once more on the Applegate issue...I truly apologize for this mistake. There were a lot of flavors being suggested and considered during a very short window between the end of the contest and the actual selection of winners. Bill from WD was going a little crazy and had this big spread sheet which said who suggested what flavor. He was intrigued by the cinnamon apple pie (and made the chocolate very cinnamony), but in the end, named it just "Apple Pie".

I take the blame for this one. We had a lot of similar names and sometimes it was kind of a close call on who actually came closest to naming the final product.  I should have just used the original apple pie suggestion by June (thanks June...Great flavor!), but visions of sugar plums must have been dancing in my head, because I blew it!

I'm sorry to both winners and we've awarded the top prize to both. (They both received a $250 gift card for chocolates). We encourage you to continue entering our contests and giveaways. In the 13 years I've been doing this, we've never had this happen - and we've given away a lot of interesting stuff - from cars to vacations to books and more. 

A big thanks goes out to June for keeping me honest and being a good sport!  I spoke with her and she was really sweet about it. (I might have been a bit more irritated!) 

by on ‎10-08-2010 11:57 PM

I want to Personally thank Sandy on contacting me about the Applegate issue! She is a great person to deal with. she called me right away and made me feel great!  She sent me a gift card and i received it today! I love your website and will continue to enter your contests. Sandy your the best!!! Thanks again,   June

by kidhouses on ‎10-30-2010 09:07 AM

Tried to ordered the AAA special edition chocolates on William Dean web site, but after much googling, etc., cannot seem to find any special price for AAA members?????  Is there a secret coupone code or way to enter in cart?

by on ‎11-04-2010 08:21 AM

kidhouses,

The price of the AAA Creations box reflects the discount already. It's only marketed to AAA members, so no need to put in a code! The price is $35 down from $40. Let us know how you like the chocolates!

Adrienne :smileyhappy: