Occasional Visitor
RVemulapati

AAA auto insurance is expensive. Better to take auto insurance online!

I tried this option before. There is one strong reason why the members should not get auto insurance quoted from AAA. Because it is expensive. Here is my experience. Getting an insurance quote directly from Progressive insurance company is less expensive than getting quote through AAA (for the same insurance company). 

Quote I got it through AAA  auto insurance with Progressive will cost me $560; 

Online quote I got it from Progressive is $450

why having the membership with AAA will cost me more dollars. Doesn't make sense.

Thanks,

Raveendra

Community Manager
StephenW

Well, yes and no. If you go directly to Progressive, they...

Well, yes and no. If you go directly to Progressive, they will give you different prices for how you buy.  If you buy from their website without any "human" interaction, they may offer a slight discount. If you use one of their agents, it will be about the same as if you use an AAA agent.

And with an agent, you get more. Agents can answer your questions, look for additional discounts that you may not be aware of, and quote you with other companies. What if Traveler's insurance was even cheaper than Progressive?

Obviously you have to be diligent with your money. But there's great value in using a AAA Insurance Agent--not just in the buying, but also if you ever have to report an incident.

Occasional Visitor
RVemulapati

Online auto insurance quote is always cheaper than AAA/individual agent quote!!!

That’s interesting.  If I understand it correctly what are you saying is online auto insurance quotes are always cheaper (15% or more) than AAA agent or individual agent quotes.  So the extra amount in difference is towards agent fee for providing customer service.  I thought that having AAA insurance is like having membership in warehouse (Costco membership or Samsclub membership etc) for getting the things for cheaper price. Now I understand that I am wrong here. Thanks for opening my eyes. I will continue my due intelligence going forward to save money!

Community Manager
StephenW

No, You Misunderstood

No, you misunderstood. I said that if you get an online Progressive quote, it may be cheaper than if you spoke to a Progressive agent directly. I can't really speak as to why they do that.

With AAA, you'll get a quote from up to 6 different companies--so you only have to call AAA and not six different places. Yes, we do sell Progressive, but sometimes other companies offer a comparable product at a cheaper rate. So you can get a very good deal with a reputable insurer, saving you time and money. Is AAA *always* the cheapest? No, but many times we are. Members who switch to us save, on average, more than $500 per year--plus they get the safety and security that AAA is know for. Yes, we are a membership organization, and we always try to do right by our members.

Occasional Visitor
jks120585

was this quote for a 6 month policy or 12 month? it seems...

[ Edited ]

was this quote for a 6 month policy or 12 month? it seems not that bad.  i found AAA to be cheaper than GEICO and Progressive, but not as cheap as USAA (which unfortunately, is not an option for non-military personnel). also, these guys have been advertising $30/month premiums on the radio where i live (atlanta).. you could also give them a shot if u want.

for the majority of the population, i think that AAA is not bad!